I’m going to skip ahead here, and answer some questions, because this original announcement has been hyped up to a point that has unwittingly sparked some serious frustration within many people. This has taken the joy right out of what I have been planning to do, and I realize my blunder in timing. My announcement came too soon before the video was released, and failing to specify how long the wait would be was the only real crime here. The announcement was originally meant to be made within several days (not hours or minutes), and so my deepest apologies for not reiterating that detail in my announcement about an announcement. Nothing has changed from what I’ve said – there is a new Kryptos discovery that will be detailed within a few days (presently in production). It will be released in the form of an animated video and a corresponding article. Again, this announcement pertains to a layer of Kryptos that is not presently considered to be a part of K4. There certainly has been no claim of final resolution from this author, so by all means keep going!!
I have been working on a video (I referred to it as skilled manipulation in a previous post; perhaps a poor, yet typical choice of words from this author) that depicts what I believe to be the ultimate palimpsest. Be careful not to jump to conclusions about this. The very nature of what I am talking about is extremely difficult to imagine. As it stands right now, we have a limited definition of “palimpsest” and I’ll state openly that if you’re visualizing Archimede’s version, you’ve played into the illusion as planned.
The story that lead to this belief (that’s all it is at this point) was originally not connected to Kryptos. A Moroccan tile artist emailed me several months ago about something she saw in Kryptos, and so as a faithful co-enthusiast, I looked. I was stunned when I immediately saw something. However, low and behold, she was not referring to Kryptos — but an entirely different work of art by a different artist from a different era. I couldn’t confirm her findings, and I subsequently dismissed my own impression about Kryptos as coincidence.
During my normal Kryptos persuits, I discovered a work by a prominent fiction writer from the 1920’s. His name is Howard – no relation to the Howard Carter of 1922 we are all familiar with. This is Howard Phillips Lovecraft. He wrote a story called “Memory” that seems to speak of a sense of time when advanced intelligences could not in hindsight distinguish the difference between man and monkey.
…The Genie that haunts the moonbeams spake to the Demon of the Valley, saying, “I am old, and forget much. Tell me the deeds and aspect and name of them who built these things of Stone.” And the Demon replied, “I am Memory, and am wise in lore of the past, but I too am old. These beings were like the waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of the moment. Their aspect I recall dimly, it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall clearly, for it rhymed with that of the river. These beings of yesterday were called Man.”
So the Genie flew back to the thin horned moon, and the Demon looked intently at a little ape in a tree that grew in a crumbling courtyard.
H P Lovecraft also wrote “The Shadow Out of Time,” which seems to speak of Kryptos. The story is about pseudo-memory as a possible antithesis to lucid-memory. And then there is “The Dunwich Horror” which makes reference to a Savant named Wilbur Whateley who developed a puzzle using Vigenere and Matrices. Dunwich was terrorized by invisible forces (see wikipedia article). There is reference to an inner city between the two magnetic poles and something called the “DHO-HNA” formula, coincidentally reminding me of “antipodes” and DHO and HNA in the first line of the ciphertext of k3. I digress with DHO being the letters surrounding that infamous YAR.
This ultimately is a rabbit trail that brings me to the reason for my recent dramatic announcement. One of those stories inspired me to take a second look at what I thought I had seen several months ago as a tip-off from that Moroccan tile artist. I say this now with complete confidence, that H P Lovecraft is in no way connected to Kryptos. I have no reason to think that Jim Sanborn would have used this prominent fiction writer. It is coincidence, and to suggest anything else without any tangible information is delusional. Merely interesting parallels of which there are countless as we all know.
Regarding my announcement and the sudden betrayal several people found themselves feeling, no authority has genuinely given me the “go ahead” and no one has endorsed my ideas. The claim about being chosen was going to be revealed in the video as part of my own slant and point in illusion on this legitimate discovery I made (not yet specifically referenced anywhere). I’m clearing this up, because of the numerous reactions before I could tell the story. In light of the seriousness of the claim and my credibility being somewhat at stake in the face of a few frightening emails from my own peers, I am going to recant this, and I may incorporate the purpose of it at a more appropriate time. It is important to me that what I show you is simple, factual, and free from my own interpretation. This isn’t completely possible, but I will treat the presentation professionally, which you have come to expect from this blog and my related materials.
Obviously, it is my job to hype up anything that is a decent possibility as it pertains to Kryptos. This is what I do. This is what I have been doing for years. The facts and theories (have you seen my “did Sanborn sign Kryptos?“) are at the heart of my web site. Let’s clear that intention up first. My discovery is not K4. I have not solved K4. I have not claimed that I have solved K4, and I kindly ask that if anyone thinks otherwise or has mispoken about this that they help me clear up the issue. It has instigated widespread panic in people who are trying to solve it. I like suspense. I like to have fun with illusions, exaggerations, and dangerous implications… but I also respect genuine resolution. Being the author of “k4 syndrome,” I am careful about what I say, and live for delivering genuine, fresh content. I want to go above and beyond with my skills because it’s beneficial to the Kryptos community and I enjoy doing it.
1) What I believe to be buried out there is a palimpsest. This may not be an original idea. Again, this has not been confirmed or endorsed by anyone. I believe Langley should know about this but that they don’t.
2) In light of what I will be showing via my new animated video next week is an interpretation of the deciphered plain text as it relates to this new discovery. Again, I am not sure whether the interpretation is original or whether it originated in someone else’s fascinating studies (such as Dr. Randy Thompson’s). I will show you what is buried. I will specifically show you the item I’m calling the new palimpsest.
3) I will show you what the coordinates point to, exactly. The steganography, as many people have suggested, in this part of the solution is the wording of the plain text itself. In fact, I can not count the number of people who have suggested this very thing and thought it to be their original work. I certainly won’t pretend to have been the first to have come up with it. What I will propose is what that plain text means in this particular new layer of Kryptos. What do the coordinates mean? I will show you.
4) “It was totally invisible. How’s that possible? They used the earth’s magnetic field…” I want to explain what this means in light of the palimpsest discovery. Like my Leonardo discovery from several years back, once you see the chalice, you always see the chalice. That chalice is a steganographic message. I’m trying to be specific without ruining the potential surprise. However, this discovery is questionable and subject to as much doubt as the disparate chalice discovery. There will be believers and there will be doubters. I think that with the story of Kryptos thus far, we are intelligent enough to accept what Jim Sanborn did out there on the CIA grounds behind everyone’s backs. I’m also prepared to hear, “no, that’s not it,” in which case I will promptly abandon the idea.
5) I will explain the meaning of what information was gathered and transmitted underground. The exact place is unknown, and so this is a discrepancy from my previous post. However, I will explain what it means. I will tell you where, exactly I have been told this place is.
6) The ultimate lesson for the CIA that will likely not change personalities as Sanborn hoped but will cause them to think a little about how Jim Sanborn carried out this act and got away with it for twenty years. That’s what this discovery is about. The story doesn’t begin at the dedication ceremony. It began long before, and part of the Kryptos puzzle includes the history and drama involved in its planning and installation.
The chance event will have to wait for further explanation. To those waiting, please be patient. I will do my best to not disappoint you with these things and to give the best showmanship you deserve. This is not a hoax, but please do not make this out to be “the finale” in the sense that it’s over and done with. Hardly! I believe this to be a minor step of progress.
It is big, though. Very big. In what way, you’ll soon find out.
Hope this helps, and please don’t bury me over my enthusiasm. This is supposed to be fun… for everyone…
and it is!